Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Man Has Realization After Watching 1998 Film, What Dreams May Come


Medford, OR-Ralph Forticoe realized that sharing precious moments with family and friends only leads to despair and death after watching the 1998 drama What Dreams May Come.

The movie, about a happy family of four whose life takes a turn for the worse when the children and father die after saying cinematic goodbyes, showed Forticoe the err of his ways. The Lakewood County father of 12-year old twins Sarah and Michelle has been sharing hallmark moments with his family for years without realizing how potentially destructive his actions were.

“When the van pulled out of the driveway in slow-motion, that was a BIG sign that death was nearing,” Forticoe said hitting the replay button to watch the pivotal scene one more time. “And now it is my responsibility to make sure that same thing doesn’t happen to my kids.”

Fornicoe’s efforts include blatantly ignoring his children’s cries for help and always escaping the residence before his wife or children get a chance to wrap their loving arms around his neck and say those three poisonous words, I love you.

Forticoe’s wife, Darlene, says she couldn’t understand her husband’s ways until the day he drove her to the hospital for brain surgery. “I leaned in to kiss Ralph goodbye and tell him how scared I was and he just turned away and gave me a little shove out of the car,” Darlene said, feeding herself from a hospital bed. “I was angry at first, but when I awoke from surgery alive and well, I knew he did it to show he cares.”

Despite his efforts to ensure he does not tragically lose his wife and kids as happened in the film, Fornicoe’s daughters, Sarah and Michelle, are taking their father’s indifference personally.

“Daddy hates me because I’m fat,” Sarah Fornicoe said, licking powdered sugar off a donut. Her sister, who stood by Sarah’s side, nodded in agreement, just like those—thinner—iconic Olsen twins.

Mr. Fornicoe denies his daughter’s accusation saying there is nothing he can do. “As soon as I get close to my girls, they’ll be dead.”

No comments: